“You really don’t need a huge team to run a highly profitable business. One of the errors I made early on is trying to staff too many people… A small, but effective leadership team, I would say is one of the biggest lessons I’ve had. If I were to start over, I would look for my one or two people to start that team with us.”
Julia McCoy is a prolific content material marketer, hard-working company proprietor, and an incredible particular person you need to get to know higher.
At 19, she based her content material company Express Writers. Over the final eight years, she’s constructed her firm to over $four.5 million in gross income solely via Search engine optimisation-focused inbound content material advertising and marketing and grown her distant workforce to greater than 90 members.
In right this moment’s version of the Search Engine Journal Show: Better Know a Marketing Pro, Julia shares her ideas on writing, persistence and constructing a million-dollar firm.
About Julia McCoy
Julia McCoy based her company in 2011 and turned it into a million-dollar firm inside a span of eight years.
Today, Julia is the CEO of Express Writers, and manages HR and advertising and marketing. She has served greater than 5,000 purchasers, from Johnson & Johnson and Nordstrom to small B2Bs.
She’s simply launched a second model known as Content Hacker as a “house” for her greatest business work, together with two programs, paid workshops and company coaching, 1:1 content material technique and consulting choices, books, and blogs.
You can discover her contributing articles on Search Engine Journal in addition to Content Marketing Institute, MarketingProfs, and Thrive Global.
She’s additionally the writer of two books, So You Think You Can Write? The Definitive Guide to Successful Online Writing, which was printed in 2016, and Practical Content Strategy & Marketing, printed in 2017.
Primarily a author, Julia simply began taking on talking engagements this 12 months. She is slated to talk at this 12 months’s Content Marketing World in Cleveland, Ohio.
With her achievements, you possibly can say that Julia is one completed millennial. She’s really all that – and extra.
Not many know that Julia grew up in a non secular cult in Pennsylvania and endured abuse for 21 years earlier than lastly fleeing in 2012. Right now, she’s chronicling her journey to therapeutic in her third e-book that’s at the moment within the works.
Listen to this episode as Julia McCoy shares her inspiring story – proving that something is feasible on this life, it doesn’t matter what it’s important to cope with.
- Julia blended her love for writing and information in getting cash on-line to begin Express Writers in 2011. [2:45]
- Halfway via faculty, Julia realized nursing wasn’t her ardour. She dropped out of nursing college at 19 to pursue freelance writing – one thing she thought she’d really take pleasure in doing the remainder of her life. [4:49]
- Express Writers was simply a five-minute enterprise title concept. [6:48]
- Julia’s first purchasers have been from freelance platforms Elance and oDesk – which have since merged and rebranded to Upwork. Her high-quality work introduced her numerous referral purchasers. [7:57]
- How she discovered Search engine optimisation and began making use of it to the content material she was writing. [10:03]
- Julia’s aim to search out writers nearly as good as her helped propel the corporate ahead. [11:37]
- On constructing her digital workforce. Express Writers has a qualification and testing course of in place however that doesn’t solely weed out flakers. [13:19]
- Hiring folks on-line provides one other degree of complexity. [14:59]
- When instances are attempting, Julia lets herself undergo no matter she must undergo after which, stand up the following day and attempt to begin recent. [15:30]
- On staying productive and avoiding distractions. [17:45]
- Things Julia is grateful for: having the ability to work with a lot of gifted writers and overcoming obstacles she didn’t assume she’d get via. [19:14]
- In 2016, two managers she trusted ended up embezzling from the corporate and stealing shopper accounts. Through that have, Julia discovered the management abilities wanted to run the corporate to the extent it’s at. [20:38]
- What is Julia’s definition of success for the corporate and for herself? [23:52]
- Julia’s enterprise ideas? Don’t attempt to workers too many individuals early on. You don’t want a large workforce to run a extremely worthwhile enterprise. Build a small, however efficient management workforce. [24:59]
- What precisely is Content Hacker? [26:03]
- Books have been Julia’s earliest foray into writing. She shares the largest adjustment from writing on-line content material to writing books. [27:28]
- The quantity of evergreen prospects that may come from writing and publishing a e-book is fairly highly effective. [29:54]
- On writing her third e-book – a narrative nonfiction that tells the story of her life. [31:02]
- Julia shares her expertise rising up in a cult utterly reduce off from everybody else and the way she managed to search out an avenue to discover a entire totally different facet of life. [32:44]
- Her journey to acknowledging her previous and therapeutic from it. [36:23]
- Her enterprise really began whereas she was nonetheless within the cult. Julia was pressured to rent relations within the early phases. [37:52]
- Julia’s fourth talking engagement might be at Content Marketing World this 12 months. Learn the rationale why she didn’t exit and communicate sooner. [39:00]
- How does she maintain present on all of the adjustments in Search engine optimisation and advertising and marketing? [42:06]
- Setting up a content material creation course of in place helped Julia keep away from getting burnt out from writing. [43:38]
- Julia’s content material advertising and marketing ideas for native brick-and-mortar companies. [46:22]
- Her ideas on placing collectively content material hubs. [48:28]
- What’s the spotlight second that stands out from Julia’s profession? [51:06]
- On being a spouse and mom and sustaining a good work-life stability. [52:16]
- If she wasn’t in advertising and marketing, Julia would most likely be writing fiction within the apocalyptic type. [54:36]
- Josh, her husband, is Julia’s greatest advisor – having been there because the starting of the enterprise. [55:33]
- The worst piece of recommendation she’s ever heard? Hide her enterprise dilemma (firing the 2 managers who stole from the corporate) from the general public view as it would flip folks off. Instead of following that recommendation, Julia determined to be clear together with her purchasers. [57:47]
- If Julia may return in time and provides her youthful self some recommendation, what wouldn’t it be? [1:00:09]
- Julia’s recommendation for newcomers within the business who need to grow to be profitable: “Whatever you do, make it super high-quality, be the best at what you do and then, tie that to an industry or a niche.” [1:00:40]
- Right now, she’s most enthusiastic about seeing the shifts particularly in gross sales – how prospects are available in and convert. [1:01:29]
- What’s subsequent for Julia McCoy? [1:02:56]
Links from the Episode
How to attach with Julia McCoy:
Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Express Writers | Content Hacker
To hearken to this Search Engine Show: Better Know a Marketing Pro Podcast with Julia McCoy:
Visit our SEJ’s podcast archive to hearken to different Search Engine Journal Show podcasts!
Featured Image: Paulo Bobita